Friday, November 21, 2008

Quick Christmas presents.


I've been trying to come up with some ideas for little Christmas gifts that I can make easily for my family. Jotters, notebooks, shopping lists, etc make great gifts that you can put together with a minimum of fuss and time. I began with an 8 inch x 8 inch page at 300 dpi and created two jotter covers side by side. It saves paper because you just cut them in half when they're printed. I used Jessica Sprague's mini brag book as my original template (great if you're short of time and ideas) because they are the right size. Once you have created your two covers, printed and trimmed them, you need to create a cardboard backing and some plain white paper inserts. I've made a template with cutting guides for you to download here. You can use it as the basis for your covers too if you like. Print the template out on plain paper for the inside pages and on cardstock for the backs. I know it's a bit tedious cutting all that paper but you can probably cut several sheets at once. I'm putting 20 pages in each notebook.

Next, you need to work out how you're going to bind them. There are lots of ways to do this with ribbons or rivets but I like the wire binding so I purchased a Zutter "Bind It All" machine from Lincraft. If you want to use the small 3/8" (10mm) Owires you need to make sure you get Version 2 which has a spacing bar attachment. The older version only uses the larger 5/8" (20mm) wires which can look cumbersome on small booklets. With the spacing bar, you can punch your holes closer to the edge.
Credits: Kits: Fly kit, Rag Doll paper pack and Tied Fasterners No 2 by Katie Pertiet. Fonts: Scriptina, Chocolate box and 1942 Report.

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a fabulous idea Susie to make the jotter pads. I bet they will be treasured.

Digi Free said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 12 Dec [LA 09:00pm] - 13 Dec [NY 12:00am, UK 05:00am, OZ 04:00pm] ).