Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How to create a Shabby Chic background.

One of my favourite scrapbooking techniques is blending photos and papers with textures to create an interesting and unique background. I took this photo in my sister-in-law's garden at Christmas when all her roses were blooming. Paul Grand is a master at blending photos, so you should check out his blog and have a look at some of his creations.

Paul provides free textures for you to download at Flickr. You'll need to click on "more sets" to find them all. To create this look I used a gradient mask to blend my roses photograph with Katie Pertiet’s pink background paper and then blended two of his textures, cracked paint on stone and cracked door paint with my gradient layer. Here are the instructions for my technique and my roses photo if you would like to use that. You will need to download the textures directly from Flickr but if you’re not a member you may have to sign up first. Just click on the links that I have provided above, right click and choose, "Save As". Choose a location on your hard drive and click okay.

I would love to see what you create. If you would like to show me your work, email me with a link to your page. Don't forget, a little love goes a long way. If you like my tutorials, leave me a smile or two.

Credits: All Designer Digital products - Hipster Plumes No 11, Gumdrop Baby Kit, Amelie Kit, Photo Wraps No 4, Stacked frame from HDTDT No 17. Font: Scriptina

5 comments:

Digi Free said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 11 Mar [LA 01:23am, NY 03:23am, UK 08:23am, OZ 07:23pm] ).

CreativeBusyHands-Scrapbook Freebies Search said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Uncategorized post on Mar. 11, 2009. Thanks again.

Laramie said...

This is a beautiful layout and the photography is wonderful. I need to learn so much more about Corel. There are a lot of tools I still don't know how to use. Love your blog and information.

Lorena Digital Designs said...

This was so beautiful, I had to try it. It came out terrific. Thank you so VERY much for providing the "whole enchilada" so that, all I had to do was download and try it. The instructions worked pretty similarly in Paint Shop Pro.

paulgrand said...

Shabby Chic describes texturing perfectly!
Thanks for the mention, thrilled to be sharing with scapbookers!:-)