Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Slice


Since this month is all about favorite family recipes I made one of my favorites yesterday called, Chocolate Coconut Slice.

If you click on the scrapbook page it will be big enough for you to read the recipe and copy and paste it to your computer.

Mary Newman and I had a lot of laughs about the differences in how recipe instructions vary between the USA and Australia. She's American and I'm Australian and we're both on the Digital Scrapper Design Team at Scrapper's Guide. Mary drew all the beautiful doodles in this month's kit.

When she started reading my recipes in the album the questions really started coming. What's Icing Sugar, Desiccated Coconut, Caster Sugar etc? We realized that some people would have absolutely no idea what these ingredients are.

So here are a few translations:
Icing Sugar = Powdered Sugar
Icing = Frosting
Method = Instructions
Desiccated coconut = Finely shredded coconut.
Caster Sugar = White sugar but the grains are much finer.
Self-Raising Flour = All purpose flour with 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder added.
This is a recipe my mother used to make for us when we were children and I still make it regularly today. It contains no eggs, and is very quick an easy to make if you have unexpected visitors. We make a lot of these slice style biscuits in Australia and I'll share more with you in the coming weeks. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Well how fortuitous this was. I was just going off to look for a cookie or slice recipe to make for my father-in-law who is visiting tomorrow and for some reason I just decided to check out your blog first and look at this. I had only just blogged it too. LOL

Carol said...

WEll you weren't wrong. This slice was delicious. I made it for my father-in-law's visit, plus a plate for my husband going to his meeting tonight. Thanks Susie.